Since August, the new experiential program for 9th graders known as Freshman Flights is up and running. St. Andrew’s freshmen have visited Hunter Army Airfield, family-owned businesses, and SCAD.
Freshman Flights is designed to acquaint students with industry sectors that are fundamental to our local economy, while allowing them to better understand the expanse of career opportunities in these industries. This program is an extension of the active learn- ing taking place day-to-day on campus giving students additional authentic experiences.
Once a month, freshmen leave campus to spend a day with area leaders in a variety of industries. In partnering with our neigh- boring Savannah stakeholders, our students are beginning to see ways in which to translate their learning into future opportunities and career paths.
This program lays the foundation for informed decision making and empowers students to:
• Enter their 10th grade career shadow experience with greater understanding of their options
• Align their 11th and 12th grade coursework choices with areas of personal interest and passion
• Evaluate college choices with the benefit of authentic career and work exploration over the entirety of their high school years
• Understand the diversity of career paths available within major industry sectors
• Understand the relationship between industry, economy, and community vitality